Home School

Options for Home School

Option 1: Independent

Parent/guardian chooses to teach their child on their own.

What is needed:

  • Copy of parent high school diploma or GED
  • Copy of child’s birth certificate and immunization
  • Complete the Intent to Home School Form annually
  • Keep account of attendance using the Home School Attendance Form and turn in to Home School Coordinator at the end of the school year. (Put a Check, X, or Highlight to indicate you have taught for 4 hours that particular day.) 
There are no costs up front. Your expenses will come from your choices in how you teach your child, from textbooks, to websites, to workbooks, etc. 

Ask Yourself

What curriculum will I be using? (A curriculum is a listing of all of the skills that have to be taught for a grade and subject level.)

Tennessee State Curriculum Standards

These can be found at the Tennessee Department of Education website.

Option 2: Non-Public School

You can use any Tennessee private school, that offers home school, as your “umbrella” school.

Listing of all non-public schools:


There will be a fee to pay to the non-public school that you choose.

Ask Yourself

What are they providing me with this fee? Textbooks? Lesson plans? Curriculum?

Option 3: Online School

You can register your child with an accredited online school that is Tennessee approved. There are six accrediting agencies that Tennessee approves. If the online school you choose has one of the accrediting agencies then you will be in compliance.

Once you have registered your child with an online school, you must provide a letter of attendance from the online school to your child’s school they had been attending.

Listing of the approved accrediting agencies:

  • AdvancED
  • SACS CASI - Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement
  • NCA CASI - North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement
  • NWAC - Northwest Accreditation Commission
  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA)
  • MSCES – Middle States Commission on Elementary Schools
  • MSCSS – Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
  • National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and affiliates (e.g., SAIS)
  • National Council of Private School Accreditation (NCPSA)

High School: Home School Options

The choices are the same for high school students; however, the end result may help in determining which path you and your child pursue.

Option 1: Independent

You can still teach your child independently at this point; however, they will not graduate with a Tennessee high school diploma. They will only graduate with a home school diploma that you give them.

Your child can still attend college with a home schooled diploma. They will have to follow the college admittance requirements per school.

Option 2: Non-Public School

Ask the non-public school their policy on providing a Tennessee diploma.

Option 3: Online School

Ask the online school about their policy on providing a state diploma. Most online schools are not based in Tennessee.

Home School Coordinator

Susan Howard, Ed.D 
Phone: 865-453-4671 
FAX: 865-774-4562

New to Sevier County?

If you have just moved to Sevier County and are already home schooling your child, please contact the home school coordinator.


The state assessment is required for independent home schooled children in grades 5, 7, and 9.