September/October 2021 Scholarships
There are several free websites for scholarships searches. A few that we recommend are www.scholarships.com and www.fastweb.com. There are a variety of scholarships: by major, athletics, occupational, associational, etc. You will need to search the websites. Some may be past the deadline, not available anymore, or not applicable to you. They will direct you to a website for more info. They are not just for our local students. (Use your own discretion when applying for them-most are legitimate, some may not be as helpful). Several of our local scholarships are in the spring: Dolly Parton, Seymour Breakfast Rotary, Ned McWherter, etc. I only post them month to month as students may look into those later in the year and overlook those which have sooner deadlines. Usually students do not get full rides to college. It is normally made up of scholarships and grants from a variety of sources: Lottery/Hope, scholarships from the school itself, pell grants, extracurricular/community service awards, etc. Awards ranging from $500.00 to several thousand are typical.
*Make sure you pay attention to deadlines and criteria listed. Some scholarships are school specific.
*****Note if you are planning on attending Walters State, you need to apply for both the TN Promise Scholarship and The Walters State Scholarship.
TN Promise (local scholarship)
- 2 years FREE tuition at any of the state’s 13 community colleges, 27 colleges of applied technology, or other eligible institution offering an associate’s degree program
- NO GPA or ACT requirements!
- Application opened up August 1st. Deadline to apply is November 1st, 2021. Deadline is a hard deadline with no exceptions!
- Go to tnpromise.gov to apply
- Even if a community college is not your top choice, please apply. You can always decline the scholarship at a later date if you decide not to use it.
- A great opportunity for all students!
***We will meet with all seniors to go over how to apply and help as needed on September 13th. If students want to go ahead and apply on their own, they can.
QuestBridge College Match Scholarship
Full 4 year scholarships for seniors who have demonstrated academic excellence in the face of economic obstacles. Also, if students are first generation in their family to attend college it is a plus-35 partner colleges that participate- must attend the specific colleges/universities – not local colleges- very specific schools on the list
- Looking for Top Ten percent students (High academics-mainly A’s in Honors Courses- and 28 or above on the ACT)
- Finalists typically come from households earning less than $65,000 annually for a family of four, and often less.
See your counselor if you are interested in this scholarship as someone from the school will need to verify and nominate the student. Deadline to apply is September 28th, 2021
Davidson’s The Bryan Scholarship
Must attend Davidson College in North Carolina
- Two awards are given out annually at 30,000 each for two scholar athletes
- Candidates are chosen on the basis of academic and personal excellence, strong promise of significant impact in their classes and lives on campus, proven potential for significant success in Davidson’s NCAA Division I athletic program.
- We may nominate up to 3 candidates
- Nomination Deadline is Sept. 28th 2021
· See your counselor if interested.
AES Engineering Scholarship
- $500 scholarship
Must answer an essay question: When you look back on your life in 30 years, what would it take for you to consider your life successful? What relationships or accomplishments will be important on this journey? Must be 500-1000
- You are not required to be taking Engineering courses to be eligible
- Go to http://www.aesengineers.com/scholarships.htm. To apply.
· Deadline for entry is October 8, 2021
Roan Scholars Leadership Program- ETSU
Must Attend ETSU
- Full fees, room, meal plan, and a textbook allowance- most prestigious scholarship- VERY COMPETITIVE. Students may apply directy or go through the nomination process which benefits them to go directly to the regional interview phase.
- Nomination criteria include strong character, exemplary leadership ability, intellectual curiosity, and evidence of physical activity
- (High ACT-30 and above- scores a big plus).
- SHS can nominate two students (our best leaders)
- The nomination application is lengthy
- See your counselor by Monday, September 17th 2021 if interested.
- Deadline for all materials is October 18th 2021
Coca-Cola Scholarship/Coca-Cola Scholars Program
- $20,000 scholarship
- Looking for students that are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve, as well as their commitment to making a significant impact on their schools and communities
-Must have a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Register and apply on line at https://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/apply/
· Deadline is October 31st, 2021
TSDAR Scholarship *State Scholarship
- a 150-300 word essay is required plus transcripts, resume, and two letters of recommendation from an educator, employer, minister, or youth activity leader
-Each DAR Chapter with our sevier county area can only sponsor three applicants
-The essay is to be entitled- “My Chosen Profession: My Preparation, My Immediate Need, My Hope”- must be 150-300 words
-See you counselor for an application
-Applications are due to your counselor by Friday, September 24th, 2021
Ellen Davies Rodgers/Zachariah Davies Scholarship
- $750 scholarship for students who are entering a 4 year college or university
- Students must complete an application, include a resume, a narrative on patriotic endeavors, provide 3 letters of recommendation, send a transcript, and write a 300-500 word essay
- See your counselor for an application.
- Applications are due to your counselor by Friday September 24th, 2021
· We can only send 3 applications from our school
Heisman High School Scholarship
- Scholarship ranges from $1,000-$10,000
- Eligibility begins with maintaining a weighted GPA of 3.0 (B average) or better. Applicants also need to be proven leaders and role models within their school and community. And applicants must participate or have participated in grades 9, 10, or 11 in at least one of the sports recognized by the International Olympic Committee in the Summer and Winter Olympic Games, the Paralympic Gamesor the National Federation of State High School Associations.
- Go to https://heismanscholarship.com/application/school-officials/ to apply.
Application deadline is October 19, 2021
Loretta McCoin TN State Scholarship
- $2,500 scholarship for a young woman accepted to a 4 year college
- Must have minimum GPA of 3.0
- Awards based on character, personality, high purpose, financial need, and PEO recommendation
- If interested, see your counselor by October 20th, 2021.
Walters State Scholarship
- Application opens up September 1st and runs through February 1st, 2022
- Students must be admitted to WS before applying for WS scholarships
- There are several scholarships that Walters State offers. Listed below are a few different types of scholarships that WS offers. There is only one application for all scholarships. Please go to http://www.ws.edu/financial-aid/types/scholarships/.
- Presidential Scholarship- One person is chosen from SHS. Must be a Valedictorian that is going to attend WS full time. Scholarship will cover registration and maintenance fees plus 300 dollars per year. If you are a Valedictorian and want to go to WS, come and let your counselor know by March 1st.
- Senators Scholar-$1000 per semester-Minimum 3.7 high school GPA and 26 national or state ACT score must be achieved prior to fall semester starting date.75 hour per semester institutional work requirement.
- Senators Scholars Dual Enrollment Award$500 per semester- Supplemental award to former dual enrollment students who meet Senators Scholars requirements and have at least 12 institutional earned hours of college credit with a 3.0 college GPA
- Senators Dual Enrollment Achievement Award $1000 per semester-Must have earned at least 12 institutional hours of college credit with 3.0 college GPA as a Walters State dual enrollment student beginning fall 2015 and 75 hour per semester institutional work requirement
UT Promise Scholarship
The UT Promise scholarship application is now open! UT Promise is a last-dollar scholarship for students accepted into undergraduate programs at UT Knoxville, Chattanooga, Martin and Memphis. In order to become eligible for UT Promise, students must apply no later than December 1, 2021.For UT Promise eligibility, students must complete the following steps: Apply for TN Promise by November 2, 2021
- Submit a UT Promise application by December 1, 2021
- Submit an admissions application their University of Tennessee institution of choice by December 15, 2021
- Complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA by February 1, 2021 using 2019 tax information. Students can begin completing the 2021-2022 FAFSA on October 1, 2020.
- Complete the Class of 2021 TN Promise mandatory spring webinar by May 31, 2021. The webinar will be available for students beginning in March 2022..
• Submit 8 hours of community service to tnAchieves by July 1, 2022. Students can begin accruing hours on November 3, 2021.In addition to meeting TN Promise and UT Promise eligibility requirements, students must also be eligible for the Hope scholarship and have a household income of less than $50,000. UT Promise functions separately from TN Promise and can only be used for universities in the UT system. Students must meet all TN Promise requirements, in addition to the college admissions and UT Promise application, prior to enrollment at a UT institution in the fall.
SunTrust Off To College Scholarship Sweepstake
- Fifteen drawings will be held and one winner will be chosen every two weeks starting late October through the middle of May.
- Apply online starting the end of October 2021 through May 2022.
- Go to https://www.suntrust.com/loans/student-loans/scholarship for more information