High School Graduation Requirements
Northview Academy's graduation requirements are determined by the Sevier County Board of Education and State of Tennessee.
English I, II, III, IV
Math (including Alg I, Geom., Alg. II)
Science (including Biology & Chemistry)
Foreign Language I & II
Elective Focus/Program of Study
28 Total Credits (including the required credits above) are required to graduate according to the Sevier County School System.
* Students are required to enroll in a math course each year.
* Foreign Language and Fine arts may be waived for 11th or 12th grade students not attending a four-year college or university and must be replaced with an equal number of courses designed to enhance and expand the Elective Area of Focus/Program of Study. Parents must meet with the counselor or principal to sign a waiver form.
* The additional 1/2 credit in P.E. may be met by completing a Physical Education course or by substituting documented participation in an approved school sponsored activity such as band or a Northview Academy sport.
* The Elective Area of Focus/Program of Study must focus on a particular area of concentration (Fine Arts, Career and Technical Education, Humanities, Math and Science) and is made up of three courses in a cluster.
* Students must take the ACT test at least once in order to earn a high school diploma.
Additional Diploma Types
Students who score at or above all of the subject area readiness benchmarks on the ACT or equivalent SAT will earn an Honors Diploma.
The ACT benchmarks are:
- English 18
- Math 22
- Reading 22
- Science Reasoning 23
Students will be recognized as “Graduating with Distinction” by attaining a B average (3.0 GPA) and completing at least one of the following:
- earn a nationally recognized industry certification
- participate in one of the Governor’s Schools
- participate in one of the state’s All State musical organizations
- be selected as a National Merit Finalist or Semifinalist
- attain a score of 31 or higher composite score on the ACT
- attain a score of 3 or higher on at least two advanced placement exams
- earn 12 or more semesters of transcripted postsecondary credit (this includes dual enrollment)
Top 10% (Graduating Class of 2020 and beyond)
- Honors English – minimum of 3 units; sophomore level and above
- Mathematics – 4 units: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Finite Math or above (Bridge Math or SAILS Math are not included)
- Science – 4 units (One unit must be Chemistry or Physics) The following courses will fulfill the additional fourth credit requirement for science that is in addition to the 3 units needed to meet the state graduation requirement: Honors Biology II, Honors Chemistry II, Physics, Honors Human Anatomy and Physiology, Any Advanced Placement Science, Any Dual Enrollment Science
Student must meet the above requirements and have a GPA that falls within the top 10% of their graduating class.